8.26.2008

the decade days

I heard a great idea on the radio today, and I think I'll go for it the next time I have a birthday that marks the end of one decade and the start of another.

This DJ was telling a story about how she was talking to her hairdresser about turning 40.  The hairdresser said, "Oh you should do what I did when I turned 30. I celebrated my birthday for 30 days, beginning 30 days before my actual birthday."

She gave some great suggestions about how she could do it, such as:

1. Doing something you've never done before on each of those days. (It doesn't have to be big...she mentioned she was going to eat sushi.)
2. Calling someone you haven't talked to in a long time on each of those days (a different person on each day!).
3. Looking outward, and doing something nice for someone else on each of those days.
4. Reading Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life (it's a 40 day devotional.)

Wouldn't this be cool to do on every new decade of your life?

Being as I am - a perfectionista in the fast lane going slow - I think I need to change it up a little to fit me and my lifestyle better.  Like, let the days span out the entire year for instance.  Or depending on the goal, maybe they will need to span the whole decade.  Perhaps I'll even include something off my bucket list.

I've got 5 1/2 years to plan for my next set of decade days.  I better get cracking if its going to be perfect!

No comments: