10.09.2008

think about it Thursday: 10.09.08

With the election less than a month away, there is no escaping thoughts about big issues. One I've been thinking a lot about recently is abortion.

Let me start out by saying, I'm not one to argue sides, especially in such controversial issues as this. And I about can't even believe that I have enough courage to stand on my own internet soap box to talk about it.

Here goes.

For years, I've been bugged by some of the pro-choice arguments. Just the fact that they call themselves pro-choice bugs me. Here's why.

Over and over again I hear the statement, "It's a woman's right to choose what she does with her own body." And I agree with that. It is absolutely the woman's right to choose whether or not she has sex, unprotected or not. But is it her right to choose whether or not she gets pregnant when she decides to have sex? Nope. That's God's choice. So why then should she be able to choose whether or not that new life lives or dies? That brand new being is simply growing inside of her, but that body does NOT belong to her. It just so "happens" that God created women to carry new human bodies inside their own. Deciding what to do with her own body is one thing, but deciding what to do with someone else's is another. So for me, the "right to choose" argument carries no weight.

However, I also know that saying what you believe and doing what you believe are definitely two different things. To be completely honest, I have to admit that there are situations in life in which going through with a pregnancy would be extremely difficult. You've heard them all before...rape, incest, a baby that the doctors claim "won't survive," or even when being pregnant puts the mother's life at risk. I fortunately have never been in any of these situations before, and really can't say how I would feel or not feel if I was faced with one of them.

I do know however that God is bigger than my "problems." I believe everything happens for a reason and that He can use tragic circumstances for His glory. I could only hope that if I was faced with a situation like this that I would have not only the faith, but also the courage to make the right choice in His eyes.

There. I said it. I'm getting off my internet soap box. I'm tired of thinking about this. Now you can think about it.

2 comments:

RickRack said...

Wow! You got in just under the wire with 52 minutes to spare... and what a HUGE topic.

It is a difficult issue to think about and kudos to you for taking a stand.

Here's my two cents. There are two victims in abortion -- both mother and child. This in no way let's those who "choose" off the hook, but it is important to remember that many who make this choice end up with wounds that never heal and scars they will carry forever. I know, having listened and cried with some of them. Not everyone does the right thing and not everyone makes the right choice. But, at the other side of an abortion stands a Savior who is ready to forgive and heal.

There is no point-factor when it comes to sin. God hates all sin, the ones we consider to be small indiscretions as much as the enormous ones! The little lie does as much to separate us from God as the act of taking a little life. So we must not fool ourselves about what sin is. But, "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness."

To me, that's the Good News about this very difficult topic!

Anonymous said...

Ooooo... it's Thursday. Time to think about something... but wait! where are you?