10.17.2008

think about it thursday: 10.16.08

(forgive me...i'm a day late!)

The past 3 years or so I've been thinking a lot about joy. What exactly is joy? Where does it come from? How do I get it?

Here are a few descriptions I found recently that really resonate with me.

"joy: gladness not based on circumstances"

"Joy is more than happiness. It is not based on financial success, good health or popularity. By believing in God, obeying His will, receiving His forgiveness, participating in fellowship with other believers, ministering to others, and sharing the gospel, believers will experience joy."

I have been praying almost daily for God to give me joy...and I think it's working!! Here is what He's shown me:

What exactly is joy? It's a state of mind, not a state of being. I can be content (and have joy!) in all circumstances, and I can praise God despite my state of being.

Where does it come from? By living by the Holy Spirit; it's one of the fruits you know! (Galations 5:22)

How do I get it? Well, in my case, I had to ask Him for it, because I didn't really understand exactly what it was to begin with. I just knew I wanted it! What I found is that as I asked Him for it, He helped me not only understand it, but also showed me how to get it. By letting Him guide my decisions instead of me, the joy will surely follow.

Now it all seems so simple...at least in theory! Getting it is one thing, but maintaining a joyful state of mind is another. Think about it.

No comments: