5.26.2008

thank a freedom maker

To Bryan A, Laura B, Delson T, Eric C, Bill W, Joe B, Adam B, Harvey W, Ernie M, Betty M, Gary B, Bill A, Dennis B, Scott S, Doc B, Davey P, Ron G, Carl D, Brett D, Bill H, Tim L, John R, Howard T, John M, Charles A, Jim A, Nick M, and every other American freedom maker and their families, past and present:  

I know I haven't met the majority of you.  In fact, I don't even know most of your names.  But there is one thing I know for sure about all of you:  You are my heros. I believe that your decision to serve your country is one of the most selfless decisions an American citizen can make. The work you do every day directly impacts millions of Americans, and I am blessed to be one of them.

I started to write you all a letter, trying to express my gratitude for your service to our country and thanking you for protecting my freedom.  But these feelings I have about my freedom run too deep.  It's been very difficult to put into words.

I remember like it was yesterday that raw feeling I had when I first left the safety of American borders. The reality of my freedom was really defined for me the first time I left the country. I was simply headed to a Mexican border town on a mission trip, and even though I was just going across the border, I was extremely nervous about the implications of leaving the land of the free. I suddenly felt uncomfortably vulnerable. What if the police stopped us? What if they found something in our car they didn't approve of? As we approached the border, I realized that as soon as I crossed, I was leaving my freedoms and rights as an American citizen behind. Literally. 

But it's not like I didn't ever think about my freedom until that point in my life. I've always been patriotic at the core. I'm known in my family for my overflowing emotions on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and the start of sporting events when they sing the National Anthem. It's just expected of me. When a patriotic song is sung, I'll inevitably tear up, and they'll inevitably look at me to see if I'm crying. In fact, it happened just yesterday at church when they honored the vets and sang their military branch songs. When I saw all those people that had fought for my freedom, I was just overcome with gratitude for the sacrifices they made on my behalf.  

Today I got an email from a friend...a very dear childhood friend whose husband serves in the airforce...the same friend whose daughter coined the term "freedom maker" for her daddy's job. The email she sent was written by some of their military friends. Their words about Memorial Day really rang true to me, so I thought I would share. 

"Today is the day our nation has set aside to remember those that have served our great nation.  While you're popping the top off that cold drink or flipping that steak one last time to cook it just right--Take a minute to think about the thousands throughout history, that took up arms to defend and preserve our FREEDOM.

All have given--some their lives--many their health--each and everyone, their time.  For hundreds of years our rights have been defended by those willing to step up.  They don't want parades, news stories, or pictures in the paper--they aren't expecting fireworks on their behalf--They serve for you*-- Our military gets it. 

Next time you see a soldier in the airport--sailor on the street--airman walking by--or marine preparing to move out--go up to them and simply say THANK-YOU. They'll know why! They'll know you care!"  

Well said.  

Today, why not make it your goal to thank or hug or kiss or love and definitely pray for a freedom maker, because our freedom is not free!  

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Your patriotism is indeed impressive! Our soldiers are lucky that grateful people like you are still around thanking them.