5.05.2008

why do we say that?

For whatever reason, I am fascinated by the origin of phrases and cliches we use in our language.  Maybe it's because half the time I don't understand what people are saying.  I used to think "It's a dog-eat-dog world" was "It's a doggie dog world."  What? I never could understand why people said that!

My latest inquiry, however, was the origin of the term "continental breakfast."

We went on an overnight trip over the weekend, and our stay at the hotel included one of these free continental breakfasts.  Have you ever stopped to think about why they call it that?  Well, I did.

So on the hunt I went.  

It seems to me that continental breakfasts used to be just some sort of sweet breakfast bread or pastry and coffee or juice.  I really like what ochef.com said.  Continental breakfast means that "you're hungry by 10:30."  I can relate to that!

Quite on the contrary, this weekend, our continental breakfast included your choice of milk, juice or coffee, three types of cereal, biscuits and gravy, donuts, bagels, waffles, fruit, and surely I'm forgetting something.  Needless to say, we weren't hungry by 10:00 am!

If you're interested, check out what these "experts" have to say about the origin and meaning of continental breakfast:

And even better, check out wordorigins.org or this aol member's site for the meaning of all kinds of phrases and cliches.  Apparently, I'm not the only one confused in this doggie dog world

2 comments:

RickRack said...

First of all, I am laughing because at the bottom of the wordorigins page it says copyright by David Wilton!

Secondly, I am laughing because my brothers and I thought the song "Forever In BLue Jeans" was actually called "Reverend Blue Jeans."

Thirdly, I am laughing because your creativity is ever a delight! I have been to the continent.
There was no breakfast.

There are foodies and then there are wordies. Today you are a wordie! (And a mighty fine one!)

RR

Anonymous said...

Funny! When sara was little, she thought that when Amy Grant sang "El Shaddai" she was saying "else you'll die".

gc